Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Martial Arts can help you lose weight

A few days ago I posted on my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu blog about how training in martial arts can help you lose weight. It was by far my most popular post so far and is relavent to this blog so I thought I would repost it here:


Today I am going to talk about weight loss, after all it made it on my list of top 10 reasons to do jiu jitsu. I have heard about story after story after story about people who have lost a lot of weight doing martial arts. I think there are 3 main reasons it helps you to lose weight an keep it off:

1) Martial Arts is exercise which helps you burn calories.

2) Martial Arts are fun which often means you will continue to be active even after you reach your goal.

3) Martial Arts teaches people discipline which helps them stick to the diet they are following and keep eating healthy even after they reach their goal.

I have been doing BJJ for 3 months now and following the paleo diet. So far I have lost 27 pounds, making this the most successful diet I have ever had. I plan to lose another 5 pounds before I hit the body fat percentage I want (roughly 7%). I look so much better than when I started, I have abs showing and everything. Once I reach my goal I will post before and after photos. When I have more time I will do a detailed (probably several part series) entry about paleo diet and losing weight.


Since learning that my back is herniated, I can no longer train martial arts for the next 6 months. I forgot how boring running and lifting by themselves are. No wonder most people don't want to go to the gym. If you are the type of person who gets bored going to the gym, sign up for a martial arts class as soon as possible. It is much more intereting. You will look forward to it instead of dreading it.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, as any other discipline, martial arts can help us to lose weight and have a healthy living... having an activity is important for this!
    So, I've only practiced athletics, but I will also start following some martial arts Toronto training sessions, because after I gave birth, I remained with some extra pounds and I want to get rid of them!

    ReplyDelete